The festivities are over (for now), we’ve thoroughly enjoyed the cakes, puddings, biscuits, chocolates, pies, and alcoholic drinks, and now it’s time to discover just how great you could be feeling! In just 14 days.
The Optimised Liver Detox is a 14 day program to help support;
- renewed energy levels
- better digestive health
- improved skin health
- better sleep quality
- enhanced weight loss results
- re-setting of healthy habits
During the 14 days, nutrition is optimised with real, whole, nutrient-dense foods, and foods that commonly cause issues are removed. A food list is provided – everything on the food list is good to include, anything that isn’t on the food list, should be avoided.
The key to enhancing elimination of ‘toxins’ and waste products is the supplement stack which consists of the following;
- Ultraclear pH Plus
- N-acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)
These supplements, taken during the 14 days, support liver detoxification pathways to enhance the removal of toxins that we may have taken in through food, our environment, and medications, as well as toxins we may have produced but not effectively eliminated from the body.
You are detoxing right now. Every minute of every day, our organs are working to remove unwanted substances from our body. It’s a completely normal physiological process and vital to staying healthy and avoiding chronic disease. There are various pathways in our liver which help to turn potentially harmful substances into unharmful substances, that are then removed from the body, usually through urine and stools.
Substances that have the potential to do harm, at a particular level (the dose very often makes the poison), include environmental toxins such as Bisphenyl A (BPA; used in hard, clear plastic bottles), phthalates (phthalates help make plastics more flexible and commonly found in cosmetics), heavy metals such as mercury (e.g. from some fish, old dental fillings), cadmium (e.g from cigarette smoke) and lead (from homes with old lead paint, through food, water or air). Then there’s pesticides in our food and other toxins in unfiltered water. We can also be producing unwanted bacterial products called endotoxins.
There’s research on all of these factors (and many more), and how they can negatively impact health, all the way from low energy levels to triggering chronic conditions such as autoimmune conditions.
Then there’s the food choices we make daily. I don’t think I need to cite any research (but am happy to provide if required!) on the negative effects of prolonged and increased intake of refined sugar, processed foods, alcohol and caffeine.
As mentioned above, detoxification is occurring within the body all the time. So why bother doing a ‘detox’?
When a ‘detox’ is done well and based on sound science, then the body’s exposure to toxins is reduced. Real, whole, nutritious food is consumed, junk food is eliminated, and physiological detoxification processes are enhanced. Essentially there are more nutrients going in to support normal detoxification processes and more potentially harmful substances being removed.
The main organ responsible for detoxification is the liver, where there are three phases of reactions that occur. It’s a hugely complicated process that is dependant on many amino acids, vitamins, minerals and enzymes. Let’s look at the first two phases;
- Phase 1 liver detoxification reactions: toxins are metabolised by a family of enzymes called cytochrome P450. Some products of phase 1 detoxification are water-soluble and are excreted through the kidneys, some are fat-soluble and during phase 1, intermediate products are formed which can be more harmful than the ‘original’ toxin. Phase 1 end products that are not excreted need to undergo phase 3 metabolism rapidly, to minimise the harm to the liver. High levels of free radicals are also produced by phase 1 reactions, therefore the role of antioxidants is important. Interestingly, many medications undergo phase 1 metabolism in order to become activated.
- Phase 2 liver detoxification reactions: called conjugation, is where phase 1 products are bound to a molecule to make it less reactive, therefore less harmful. They also become water-soluble so they can be safely removed from the body. The availability of amino acids (the building blocks of protein) is absolutely critical for liver detoxification processes, particularly phase 1. Therefore any ‘detox’ program that excludes protein, is essentially not promoting detoxification.
The following foods should be 100% avoided during the 14 day program;
- gluten-containing grains, these are wheat, barley, spelt, rye and oats
- processed foods
- refined sugars (only the sugars naturally found in whole foods)
- dairy products, including milk, cheese, cream and yoghurt
- soy products, includes soy protein powder, tofu, edamame beans
- caffeine, includes black tea, green tea and coffee
- legumes (if not vegetarian or vegan), this is beans and lentils
Foods to include;
- whole, natural, real, foods
- good quality protein sources; poultry, meat, fish, nuts, seeds, quinoa
- plenty of vegetables, particularly above ground, brightly coloured vegetables
- good quality fats and oils
- fruit, in moderation
The following supplements are taken for 14 days;
Ultraclear pH Plus is a powdered formula that provides all the critical nutrients, including amino acids, that support phase 1 and phase 2 reactions
NAC is a powerful antioxidant that increases levels of an antioxidant called glutathione – considered to be a master antioxidant, and is essential for liver detoxification, particularly supporting detoxification of heavy metals.
ALA is also an antioxidant, that supports insulin sensitivity (which in turn helps us to manage our blood sugar levels more effectively and it supports glutathione synthesis.
The only other you’ll need is some flaxseeds, also called linseeds, as a source of soluble and insoluble fibre which can aid elimination of toxins through stools.
And of course, lots of enthusiasm and motivation. Why don’t you get your partners, friends, family, and work colleagues involved too?
If better energy levels, enhanced weight loss, and a better digestive system sound good to you, start now!
To your lean, healthy, optimised future,
Dee, Matt & the Optimised team